Mark Strand

Mark Strand

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Keeping Things Whole

Keeping Things Whole

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.


- Mark Strand



Within "Keeping Things Whole" , Strand is commenting on his lack of meaning in life. When the author is around something, everything surrounding is waiting to be put in their proper place, which they cannot do while he is there. He disrupts whatever he touches, whether the air or a field. The air seems to represent a group of people, whether friends, family or strangers is unclear and irrelevant. He goes on through life as almost a sacrifice to everyone else, he realizes the burden he places on them and therefore moves "to keep things whole" and keep people happy.


Strand uses significant line breaks which add to the points he is stressing. Because the lines are so short and concise, it leaves room for empty space in between the words. During these long places it is almost as if Strand himself is disrupting the poem, or air, and moving through quickly and shortly as to not get in the way of the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment